World Vision Malaysia Privacy and Security Policy
This policy sets out how World Vision Malaysia (WVM) will handle personal information in accordance to the Data Protection Act 2010 in light of who we are and who we aspire to be as an organisation.
Respecting your privacy is part of our core value, We value people; in particular, our commitment to “act in ways that respect the dignity, uniqueness and intrinsic worth of every person”.
WVM is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors, supporters, employees and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with, and of the public, and recognize that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the personal information that you choose to share with us.
During the course of our various activities, we frequently gather and use personal information. This information may be obtained directly from you or collected from third parties that have the right to disclose this information to us. Anyone from whom we collect such personal information should expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use of or other dealing with this personal information is subject to express or implied consent. Our privacy practices are designed to achieve this.
Depending on where you live, WVM may not be under any statutory obligations with respect to the protection of the personal information that you provide to us. Notwithstanding such, WVM has voluntarily decided to adhere to best practices for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as outlined in this policy.
Defining Personal Information
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual. This includes any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. An individual’s opinions or beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to, the individual may also be considered personal information. Business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not usually considered personal information.
Where an individual uses his or her home contact information as business contact information as well, we consider the contact information provided to be business contact information, and therefore may not be subject to the same level of protection as personal information.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Personal information collected by WVM may include: name, address, telephone number(s), email address(es) and other contact information, date of birth, credit card or bank account information for sponsorship and/or donation purposes, countries or programmes an individual wishes to support, language preference, demographic information such as age and gender, and communication preferences for marketing purposes.
On occasion, we may also collect images of you or stories about you, for example, if you have visited your sponsored child(ren) or attended one of our events.
How Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
- We collect most personal information directly from you, for example:
- in forms or coupons filled out either online or in hard copy
- face to face
- via email
- via online surveys
- via social media messages or conversations
- during telephone conversations
- in voice or image recordings
- Examples of when we might collect your personal information from others are:
- from parents/guardians/existing sponsors/donors
- when we purchase marketing lists
Where we collect your personal information from someone else, we will take reasonable steps to let you know how we obtained this information.
Sometimes we may ask you for more detailed or sensitive information, which will only be collected with your consent, for example:
- when we apply for a criminal record check, work and character reference check to enable you to visit your sponsored child
- about your associations with churches or your philosophical beliefs and values
If you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to meet your expectations. For example, we cannot send you information about your sponsored child if we do not have your name and address.
Personal information gathered by our organization is kept in confidence. Our personnel are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with it for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that personal information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. We contractually require any person or organization providing services to WVM to comply with privacy legislation. We also take measures to ensure that the integrity of personal information is maintained and retained only as long as it is required.
We collect, use and disclose personal information only for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in light of the circumstances. We do not rent or sell personal information to any other organization.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
WVM collects personal information in order to service your account, understand your giving preferences and provide you with relevant communications and marketing materials.
We might use your information for the following purposes:
- for the immediate reason for which you have given it: for example, to enable us to process your request (eg. gift, payment, registration, subscription, change of details) including issuing you with a receipt
- to maintain contact with you about our work: report back to you about our work in the field, encourage you to learn about and act on poverty and justice issues, or let you know about other opportunities to give financially or what our partner organisations are doing (unless you have specifically asked us not to)
- any other purpose related to our work
We may share this information with World Vision employees for the purposes of marketing, research and analysis. In certain limited circumstances, personal information collected by World Vision (excluding financial information) may be stored or processed outside of Malaysia and therefore subject to the legal jurisdiction of those countries.
You can elect not to receive further information from us by contact us. Please allow 30 days for your request to be processed.
If we have contacted you by email, you can use the unsubscribe function in that email to notify us that you do not want to receive further information in that way.
If we use personal information in ways other than as stated in this policy, we will ensure we comply with the legal requirements.
When Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
We do not disclose your personal information to other organisations except for our core business purposes; importantly, we don’t rent, sell or exchange our supporter information. We will never share your data with third parties for marketing purposes.
Nonetheless, information about you might be given to:
- (if you are a child sponsor) the World Vision office in the country where your sponsored child lives, so that your sponsored child can respond to any correspondence you may send
- providers of services to us, for example: banking, payment card data processing, mail delivery and sorting (including electronic), telecommunications, information technology, information storage, market analysis or research, website usage analysis, legal, audit or accounting
When this occurs, we provide only the information that is required to provide the services and strict terms of confidentiality are established. We take reasonable steps to make sure that our agreements with service providers include appropriate privacy and confidentiality obligations.
Occasionally we may use overseas/regional/international facilities or contractors to process or back-up information or to provide other services. As a result, we may transfer your personal information to our overseas facilities or contractors for these purposes. However, any transfer of information does not change our commitment to safeguard your privacy.
In accordance with our Child Protection Policy and our commitment to protect vulnerable children from all forms of exploitation and abuse, we may share details, including personal data, relating to serious breaches of our Child Protection Policy and Procedures with statutory authorities such as the police.
Web Site and Electronic Commerce
We use password protocols and encryption software to protect personal and other information we receive when a service is requested and/or paid for on-line. Our software is routinely updated to maximize protection of such information. The WVM Web site uses or may in the future use technology features such as log-in registration, cookies, or click through tracking software. The site also logs information such as Web site IP addresses and browser types. This information is used for analysis purposes and to provide better service for users.
We regularly review our privacy practices for our various activities, and update our policy. Please check this Web site on an ongoing basis for information on our most up-to-date practices.
Access to Personal Information
Subject to certain exceptions, which are provided for by applicable privacy legislation or by the Data Protection Act, you have a right to be told what personal information we hold about you and to whom we may have disclosed that information. You also have a right to provide us with a correction if you believe that any personal information we hold about you may be inaccurate. To find out more, you can contact WVM.
Sponsor Communications and Social Media
As a child-focused organisation, we are committed to the wellbeing of all children and young people. While we are fully committed to making communicating with your sponsored child as enjoyable and efficient as possible, our priority is to ensure both their safety and privacy as well as yours are protected.
World Vision understands that we cannot prevent sponsors from connecting with their sponsored child through various social media sites; however, we do ask that you consider the following before you engage in such communication:
- Understand, identify, and manage potential risks of social media engagement
- Understand and recognize acceptable and inappropriate behaviour and communications
- Understand reporting mechanisms if you feel uncomfortable as well as potential consequences of unacceptable behaviour
In addition we would like to share with you some posting guidelines so that you, our partners with WVM, can make sure that your sponsored child’s safety is not compromised when posting information and communicating on social networking sites:
- Please only use the first name of your sponsored child
- Please do not post your sponsored child’s ID number
- Please ensure that the photos you post are appropriate and that your sponsored child is adequately clothed. Photos should not be geo-tagged and wherever possible, measures should be taken to prevent electronic copying of photographs
- Please do not publish identifying or private information about the child (e.g. the name of the location where he or she lives)
- We appreciate your support and understanding in protecting the safety of your sponsored child. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at 03-78806414.
Mailing Lists and Newsletters:
WVM offers several opt-in mailing lists for both regular postal mail and electronic mail. Any personally identifiable information provided by you is used for the purpose of delivering the mailing item, renewing your subscription, research and/or marketing. Users may choose to opt-out at anytime by contacting 03-78806414.
If you have an error about contributing to World Vision Malaysia, we will honor your request for a refund made within 30 days of your donation. All requests must be accompanied by proof of payment. To request a refund, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 03-78806414.
Contact WVM regarding Privacy & Security Policies
Questions, concerns or complaints relating to WVM’s privacy and security policy on the treatment of personal information can be addressed in writing to email@example.com or World Vision Malaysia Bhd, P.O. Box 8171, Kelana Jaya, 46783 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.